View Single Post
      11-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Funny, originally the Chevy dealership tried the same tactic. "Hey, we didn't lease the car. You did. Read the contract, upon termination THIS is the fees you're obliged to pay for breaking that contract."

I took their advice and read the contract, and noticed a small clause on the back side that says "Death Clause." That upon death GM Financial can terminate the contract if there are no other signees on the contract.

It doesn't say "will." It says "can." They make it easy for the dealership, if they so chose, to collect a termination fee. If no one reads the contract, then yeah, the dealership stands to make $$$.

I don't know how BMW FS leases are structured, or if there's a death clause in the contract. I know for sure Toyota Financial does not have a death clause in their lease agreement, thus making the estate fully responsible for for early termination fees. However, quite a few leasing companies DO in fact waive early termination in the event of sudden death and without someone appointed to be in charge of the estate.

I suggest that ANYONE having to deal with a lease contract from a passing love one to read their contract CLOSELY before contacting any dealership to return the vehicle, and to speak with the representatives at the financial company FIRST before taking any actions. You have to make sure that you or the surviving spouse isn't financially liable for said termination fees, should you chose to terminate the contract via the death clause. Because, for sure, the Chevy dealership was in position to fully take advantage of my mom had I not intervened.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0