Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Planning to head to San Diego / Anaheim in Dec, and wanted some recommendations as to what lenses to take along.

Tentatively:
Sea World
San Diego Zoo
Legoland

Disney
Universal

I have:
24-70 II
16-35 III
70-200 IS II

Questions:
1. I'm trying to leave the 70-200 at home, do you think that's a wise idea (meaning will I miss it)? I know I'd need it at the zoo, but other than that, to me it's questionable

2. Tripod? Necessary or not?

Thanks for the help everyone
I assume that you have a modern DSLR body to go with your excellent L-series lenses. Given that, you'll not need a tripod. Simply run the ISO up to wherever it needs to go, including ISO 12800. There's too much light in that area for most astrophotography.

If you don't take the 70-200 and a 1.4x TC-III, you'll miss tons at the San Diego Zoo and Sea World.

You need the 24-70mm for walk-around. That leaves the 16-35mm, which is your lightest lens. I'd only leave it our if your bag is too tight with it.

Looking at my shots from Disney, including Animal Kingdom and Universal, about half were with my 70-200mm and half were with my 24-105mm.

Some people recommend traveling light. I've invested in full-frame bodies and top level lenses, so I think, "Why do that, if I'm not going to use them to document my trips?"

Consider making a vanity book when you get back. Your family will love it and so will travel companions, if you have any. Having a book in the back of your mind as you shoot, will improve your shooting. When a relative comes to visit, one of the first things they do is look through my latest books. My friends tell me that visitors to their homes really enjoy looking through the books. It'll up your game.

Dave