03-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #99
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
You're missing the fact that the 3 series was separated into 3 series and 4 series lines...the 6 was already the coupe (and gran coupe) version of the 5 series so that exact same separation had already happened.

Renaming the 6 to an 8 for no reason is just ridiculous. It makes sense if the 8 is on the 7 series platform or if it has a substantially different structure compared to the latest 5 series but as far as I can tell (from rumors, so they could easily be wrong) this is still the same formula as the last 6 series.

Also, making the hunchback the only 6 series going forward is just a slap in the face.
I have been a BMW CCA member since 1993. I am absolutely familiar with the majority of the lineup since the middle 1980s.
Renaming the 6 to the 8 makes as much sense as BMW TEARING UP YEARS OF HISTORY OF M3 and launching the M4.
The key here is that neither of these moves " Makes sense" in any way that can be explained... as a matter of fact.. there is absolutely no explanation for any of their model designations right now.

The 3 series sedan and the 4 series coupe are related like the old models in that the 3 series is a sedan and the 4 series is a coupe.. but There is no way to relate most of the even numbered vehicles to the odd numbers.
The 2 series is not the coupe version of any sedan.
The 6 series GT is not related to the 5 series. it's also not a coupe.. which most of the other even numbered vehicles are.
The 8 series coupe and GC are not related to the 7 series.

BMW has made as much a complete mess of the basic model numbers as they have their engine designations.
They started screwing those up with engine numbers not related to actual engine size a decade or more ago.
Then they made a mess of the names with the XDRive crap.. at least the new X3 models are simplified

etc etc etc.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-08-2018 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0