Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycam View Post
Hi,

New poster here (new reader as well, admittedly) - nice to e-meet all BMW 8 gurus :-)

I'm about to take the plunge on a moderately used (900km/560mi) 2019 M850i, so I've started reading up and I have to admit this thread has me confused. I hope you can help clarify for me.

As I understand it, the latest iDrive software affects the sound of the car. My understanding, or rather assumption, was that the iDrive software is for the infotainment system and driver interactions - e g what's displayed on the HUD. I would understand if the update makes changes to the synthetic engine sound being piped through the speakers. But what I'm reading here is that it actually affects the engine/exhaust sound, and here is where I struggle.

I am no engineer nor a mechanic, but in my world the engine sound comes from the actual combustion of the fuel/air mixture in the engine, and that would be affected by the physical properties of the engine and the engine bay. How can that be affected by software? I guess if the iDrive software made changes to e g the fuel injection the fuel/air mixture could be richer or leaner and that might have an impact, but that should also affect performance and other characteristics, right? And the exhaust sound, isn't that a product of the design of the downpipes, catalytic converters, mufflers etc? I would again understand if BMW started putting in a particle filter, but software?

So my question is, how can a software update actually affect the sound? Or are the changes described referring to the artificial sound played through the speakers?

Hope I make sense, sorry if the answer should be obvious to me...
The software controls the active flaps and the "extra" fuel and air that create the pops and bangs.

The "regular" sounds in normal comfort mode is a base line. Pure engine like most non-super cars.
The sport mode opens up the exhaust flaps and increasing boost to the turbo and more gas and fuel and air. The extra unused power, noticeable when downshifting or quickly removing throttle inputs, comes out the turbo cat back exhaust and create loud pops and bangs.

The software removed this and doesn't allow the extra power to escape. In efforts to be more eco friendly and emissions controls in Europe, the "extra" power is now returned to the rpm engine and not spit out the back to reduce the noise and sounds.

I'm not a mechanic, but my best friend is a bmw mechanic and he can explain it in proper terms. But in short, he has confirmed with me that the new software is approximately a 55% reduction compared 2019 with 2020.

In the I drive software.
Appreciate 2
FBMWWINS604.50
RJC-11290.50