01-21-2016, 05:10 AM   #94
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Because the media is liberal. Fox covers it bUT anything they say which is 90% true is branded false by the other media that is 90% fake. It's a bias. I only can confirm its true because I talk to the wall street guys involved in this stuff. If hillary is elected the prices will soar. If it's a Republican they will reopen the federal and they will stay low. Better it will hurt the Arabs and Russians too.
So funny you should mention Fox News. I'm an avid consumer of Fox News. But the 2012 election came about, and Fox's reporting on O'Bama's shenanigans to discredit him (I was all for it trust me). Until Fox came to the Volt. They stated the Volt was the "Obama Car", that the Obama administration forced GM to build the Volt as part of the bailout deal. Fox tried to paint the Volt as a complete piece of shit and a waste of tax payer money spent by GM to design and build it; this was just after the news that Volts were catching afire. And funny how Fox never reported that the electric vehicle tax credit program was a Bush 43 policy initiative. Fox shut up about the Volt after news broke that Bush 41 bought a Volt for one of his grand kids...

So cars and the car industry is something I'm well studied in. Fox's reporting on the Volt was nothing farther from the truth than there an ocean on the moon. Fox's reporting was complete utter BS. One Volt caught fire. It was a NHSTA safety crash test vehicle, subject to multiple safety tests including the side pole intrusion test an then the roll over test for containment of leaking fluids. The same chassis was used for both tests. The crashed Volt was then stored in the crashed car lot, improperly stored per GM's instructions to disconnect and remove the battery. The battery's temperature control electronics were compromised in the crash test. The battery caught fire 2 weeks after the tests were concluded. Fox painted a picture that Volts were catching on fire in people's garages while charging and after crashes. None of it was true. Car and Driver even made a joke of it showing how far you could walk from Detroit in two weeks time.

Secondly, the Volt started the initial design phases sometime in 2004, while Obama was still a Senator. GM announced production of the Volt in 2007, far before the economic crash of 2008 and the resultant GM bailout. So again Fox was full of bullshit.

All of this Fox News BS led me to actually go test drive the Volt. I had only heard good things about the car (mostly from owners I questioned) and wanted to see for myself how much a POS it was. I never had interest in it before because it didn't fit my commuting profile. That test drive was my first electric car experience. As other people have said, it is an ideology-altering experience. And the Volt's design and build quality was excellent. And it drove as good as the magazines report it does. I was very impressed with it. I was as impressed with the Volt as I was back in 1973 when my Dad bought a GE Electrak electric garden tractor (still in my possession) that I used for over a decade cutting our 2-acre yard.

My first impression of the Volt is why EV's are now under consideration as my next vehicle and why I've been running financial scenarios on EVs since 2012 as a replacement for my E90. And Fox's reporting of the Volt has led me to understand it is as agenda-driven and untruthful as CNN et.al. (but the info babes are worth looking at).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-21-2016 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0