View Single Post
      11-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #45
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Wow, that's not good. I asked my tech at the dealership (he's one of their best) months ago and was told they would not.

I have a BDC (Body Domain Controller) fault affecting the "driver readiness" that requires "programming" to correct but I'm scared to have anything done that might affect the ECU and told the dealer to let it be. I am experiencing no issues other than an occasional "vehicle will turn off soon" message which goes away quickly after a 1/4 mile of driving, and my battery trickle charger is acting weirdly at times (thinking they're related). I started the 850 yesterday and it roars, even crackles and pops after blipping the gas in comfort mode...don't want to lose that!

Are you familiar with the BDC?

Thanks
If per BMW, your BDC ECU is the one causing the issue, it would be interesting to see the error ISTA D shows. If BMW said that the BDC has issue/s and needs a software update to resolve them, it makes sense to me. Since the BDC is such a centrally critical ecu, it might have dependencies (I usually flash all ecus so it matters less to me which ones), the dealer would most likely do the same meaning they would not (and makes NO sense if you are on older IStep Level) just flash one single ECU but rather the whole car. One exception I can tell you out of experience is when the JBE ecu failed on my 2007 E92 335i. Back then my BMW dealer in Italy replaced the JBE and flashed the JBE only leaving other ECUs intact. Probably there wasn't much newer software anymore and/or there were no dependecies so the JBE could be flashed as the lonestar.
As the dealer confirmed to you, programming will be necessary in order to eliminate this "annoyance". Given it is the BDC module and its importance, I would personally opt for the update but that is my viewpoint.
Ultimately and rightly, it is your decision as to whether you want the issue solved and are "prepared" to sacrifice on the for many "glorious sound" or want to keep it in the current state (with great sound especially) thus willing to put up with that error and anything else which may arise as a consequence (as you say trickle charger acting weird and the like).
Of course an update brings other benefits such as some of the latest tech which just like magic gets introduced/activated for free even on 2019 models since they share the same hardware (MY2019-2020). Fact is noone can and will force you to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11291.50