03-02-2024, 12:06 PM   #108
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This is my point about BMWs being long lasting, time does not affect BMWs like you state. They don't easily rust, the seals don't crack, the paint doesn't fade, the dashboards don't crack. One of BMWs worst interior build quality models were the early Z3 and E36 built in the then new Spartanburg plant in Tennesse. But my 27-year-old Z3 still has most of the interior in decent shape. The plastics suck, but they are still holding their own. The drivetrain, however, is in great shape. I just found two weeks ago the CV joint boots have succumbed to dry rot and are starting to throw some grease.

My now 16-year-old Z4, which was built at Spartanburg, is far superior in build quality than the Z3 that preceded it in production by some 11 years earlier. One thing that has vastly improved in BMWs since the 1970s/1980's is the audio equipment.
My E90s are worlds better than my old E46 (and yes, even my beloved E31). A quantum leap in just the span of 5ish years. The F and G series cars also hold up quite well. Though for some reason BMW just can’t seem to solve those pesky melting door handles…

Agreed on audio systems. The base I Hifi system in my old 335i was better than the Harmon Kardon upgraded system in my 330Ci. Though the base system in the M440i I test drove seemed to be subpar. But that was a vert where you need DSP and plenty of power.

It is a shame you can’t get the B&O system in the 3er. I have that system in my F10 and it’s AMAZING.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17399.00