View Single Post
      05-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I think pricing is a huge challenge. There's no way this won't be above $40k if the R32 is mid-upper $30's.
You might be right, but for what it is worth there is only about a $1k difference between a 2014 Golf VI and 2014 Jetta SW today (though the new 2015 Golf VII comes in at a lower base - but then so too may the new 2015 Golf VII SW).

Quote:
That's ok if you're cross shopping X1's or even X3's or some other $40-$50k German entrant.
Or if you just want a performance car with utility.

Quote:
The problem with these types of cars for me ALWAYS is that the car it's based on was designed to sell profitably for 1/2 the money. Whether Jetta or Golf, most of what you touch and interact with was designed to sell at an $18k starting point.
Come talk to us over on f80.bimmerpost.com. $70k-ish (minimum) for a new M3, and worth every penny over the $35k 320i. I'll bet you don't disagree with me.

Hey, I acknowledge that it's an easier sell for a performance coupe, sedan, or even hot-hatch than it is a performance wagon. But again, this thing in regular, pedestrian guise can sell 15k units a year in the US. How many SW Rs would they need to sell to make it worthwhile? Maybe a fifth of that? If the traditional Golf hatchback can pull off the R in the US - for what, four generations now? - I don't see why the wagon is automatically not going to work. Seems to me there's at least a decent shot here.
Appreciate 0