02-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
With all due respect , the 8 series is no competitor for the S coupe. It is specifically made for people who find the S too big and soft and not sporty enough and a 911 too hard core and too sporty.

This is where the 8 comes in.

There is no competition at this price point except maybe the LC500(h).
If money would be of no issue the closest competitors are the DB11 and Maserati. Maybe the Conti GT also.

BMW has been a master in finding new 'niches' and exploiting them with great success.

The car has exceptional presence. The broad shoulders, the long hood. A true eye catcher. The dynamic and coherent design is usually only available at close to double the price.

So, I for one, am extremely happy BMW decided to create this beauty. A sports car for the road. Meaning easily usable on a daily basis.

I had given up on a car like this. The S coupe is way too much for me.
I have a 911 Turbo (997) for those special days where I want a warp speed sports car. Thought about adding a new 992 but why? I have already a great 911. Like the LC500h much, but rear seats are even worse and trunk is non existent.

And then I discover this exceptional car with rear seats with plenty of room for my daughters and even more, I can fold the rear seats to create a wagon like loading area and can fit my race bike.

I think BMW decided to make this car especially for me.

I wanted something special but did not want to give up too much practicality.
I wanted comfort but did not want to give up too much 'sport'.
How fortunate for me BMW decided to give me that at such a great price.
Big thanks to Munich!!
You might not consider the 8 series a competitor to the S-Class Coupe but BMW has developed it for that very reason.
The 6 series was a financial loss for BMW and they stated as much that if they build a low volume car, they might as well make it a high-end one like MB's S-Class.

There is of course the marketing hype that they like to consider themselves a competitor to the 911, which it isn't or couldn't be with its size and weight.

IMO, the Lexus LC500 isn't considered competition by any company. Sales are dropping; in January I believe they sold 90 cars in all of Europe an 90 in the US. For 2019 I will likely be less than 2000 in either region...

That said, the 8series a perfect fit for many. I am definitely waiting for the M8 BMW has done a great job on the way the car performs
Appreciate 0