View Single Post
      11-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #65
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Because every 2/10th of a second on track by Randy Pobst translates to several seconds in the hands of AMATEURS.

I took my Grand Sport to Laguna on a near perfect day and can’t come within 10 seconds of Randy’s time. As the skill set and experience move away from the professional spectrums, the gap becomes bigger and bigger, not smaller. A car that a professional reviewer and driver like Randy can wring out for that extra 2/10th of a second on track ends up being several seconds faster on the same track. My personal experience and 20 years tracking bears this out.

Sure, we can always argue that stuff like this matters to 0.0001% of the populace that actually tracks their cars. But we’re arguing over SPORTS CARS. Not minivans, not SUVs, not rental fleet sedans. Ultimately the performance aspect is what we’re paying extra for, otherwise we should all be happy with a Veloster N for 1/2 the price.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0