E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
Wait, is the problem with KERS the technology or the regulations? The KERS give 6 seconds of boost a lap, is this their mechanical limit or is this a time imposed by the rule book? What I understand is that F1 cars use quite a bit of ballast to make up the required weight. Don't you get to remove the 20kg of ballast to offset the weight of KERS? No matter how little advantage KERS give, having something for nothing is always something you should go for. That said, there must be something wrong with my logic since most teams dropped KERS (they are, after all, engineers), but I just can't figure out what.
the secone per-lap was imposed by the regulation...KERS can be charged up with one or two corners of normal braking....that will generate enough energy to store....but sensors only allows them to use in total of 6 seconds per lap only....

if you watch onboard shots....KERS can be slowly deployed throughout the lap on drivers disgretion....but throughout the course...its constantly recharged with all the braking....and became available again once the car passed the start-finish line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x838nwy View Post
You're quite correct. From the point of view of the _total_ weight of the car, it makes no difference. Instead of using, for example, 60kg ballast, a KERS equipped car would just use 40kg or however much their KERS weigh.

The difference lies in _where_ that 60kg (or 40kg) of ballast goes in the car. One very important aspect of F1 car set up and performance is the over/understeer characteristics of the car for a given tyre regulations, track, compound, etc. Because of the changes in aero regulations as well as those that govern the tyres, getting the right weight distribution appears to be a bit of a learning experience so far this season. (I think it's mainly people trying to get more weight towards the front end. Perhaps more than they had anticipated.)

One of the things you see teams do a lot is move the ballast around the car to get distribution they want and so having a lighter car (i.e. without KERS) allows you to carry more ballast and the more ballast you have the greater your ability to move the weight distribution around the car.

It just so happens that the ability to put that 20kg somewhere else rather than where the KERS sits is more beneficial than what you get from the boost it provides.

I'm quite certain that had they chosen to introduce KERS in 2010 or 2011 having kept tyres and aero unchanged since 2009, we'd be looking at a very different picture.
Now the engineers are having problem to fine-tune and move the ballast around to make the car handles right to the drivers....most engineers can't justify the little boost but have to carry all the weight throughout the track and compromise the handling on the bends...
(with KERS at a fixed location....engineers has 40kg or so less ballast available for them to move around and finetune the weight distribution...thus eventually compromise the handling of the car....this even amplified with the changed with the new aerodynamic regulations....as you see many cars are very tweaky and tail happy and even snaps out....)

teams just can't see KERS as a real benefit in race track at the moment....there are also reliability issues for some teams like Ferrari....
if the KERS fails....i forgot whom...but there was a few times for Ferrari or something....then KERS is not providing any power and the car is just carry 40kg of dead weight at a not desirable location on the car....handling compromised and no extra boost.....so....since its an option...might as well dump it for now and have a bit more reliable car.....