07-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #32
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
You are saying it is 'cheap' for what it is, so I'm trying to capture your feedback on what you perceive this car is and why it could be consider a "bargain".

As far as being the flagship, it is. But, by badge. It is in fact, 1.7-in shorter than a 650i and about the same width. It is also 7-in shorter and 3-inches narrower than what you consider it's closest competitor which I believe is the S560 Coupe.

This is NOT the Flagship GT BMW should have built. It is an impressive and incredible vehicle and it is still in my shortlist, but it does not compare to the presence, luxury, interior design, and size that its intended competitors provide.

Perhaps, this is what the market wants. A more agile and dynamic GT, but in my opinion the price points puts it at a disadvantage.
Why does it have to mirror the S Coupe in size? You seem to want the car to be big and imposing, like the S-Coupe, while simultaneously saying you'd consider the AMG GT and 911 for the same money (neither of which are as large and GT-like as the S-Coupe). Well if the M850 can offer Aston Martin level looks (subjective, but I think it does), S-Coupe level comfort and luxury, and 911/AMG GT performance (before you scoff at this, initial drive reviews have been stellar, with BMW going as far as to say "95% of drivers couldn't turn a faster lap time in a 911 than the new M850"), why is that not worthy of standing on its own merits? That seems like a fantastic combination of attributes, one that was basically unattainable previously by any single car. The fact that it does so many things so well, its breadth of abilities so wide, should be applauded. The market is full of vehicles where you have to choose what you're willing to sacrifice on one car vs competitor cars, here you might not have to. Or at the very least, maybe you only have to make compromises instead of sacrifices. That's a win to me.

Last edited by JRobUSC; 07-10-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 7