View Single Post
      06-04-2020, 01:45 AM   #88
delcara
Rep
Drives: 535d>M3>640i>M5>M4 > m850i

So my local dealer refused to do the work because it would require 'me and the phone' in the dealership which I argued with, and they wouldn't do it. I've had 11 emails to and from BMW Assist talking to a 'genius', explained patiently what I wanted doing. Finally got this reply:

"I can’t see any updates being available for your model Dave. The only way to download a update would be the update software portal.
The procedure will be exactly the same at the BMW centre. At the moment the portal emphasizes your model will be updated automatically when a update is available."

Me:
"The update that’s required needs over an hour to download and the process has to be done with the car connected to an external battery. So not possible with a USB stick by a standard home user. It needs doing through the Ethernet port too.
Please correct me if I’m wrong!"

Them:
"Good afternoon Dave,
Thanks for getting in touch, I trust your doing well.
The file can be quite large to download onto a USB and the USB will require a minimum space of 4GB. It will also need to be formatted to a FAT 32 format.
I can’t see why you would need to download the file through a Ethernet cable.
We normally advise customers to perform the software update themselves to avoid being charged by a BMW centre to perform the update. You simply download it onto a USB and upload it in the car using the USB in your arm rest or centre console.
Once a update is available it will be the same process with your model Dave.
If there is anything else I can look into for you please get in touch. "

Me:
"Good afternoon,

Is there someone that knows what I’m talking about that you can escalate this to?

I appreciate that you don’t understand, so it needs to be passed along to someone that does.

Best regards,"

Them (new person):
"
Thanks for your query. You’re referring to the iDrive version of your vehicle, you have the 2018 version and you want the 2020 version.

This can only be done at a BMW Centre, although the vast majority are currently closed but will be in the process of re-opening.

I know you’ve been in contact with two so far, but do you have a preference for any others. I can arrange contact for yourself through online communications."

I sent a number of options but no reply. Called the dealership where I bought the car and told them I wasn't happy and would be looking to return the car as it's missing key features. They've booked it in on Tuesday. To their credit, once I spoke to my sales guy (despite him ignoring emails) it happened really quickly.

What makes me mad is that the guys via email refer to themselves as a "Genius". They're so completely useless.
Appreciate 0