View Single Post
      05-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #66
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb821 View Post
Not sure I've seen anyone mention a diesel option. I drive a 328D. My commute is 15hwy miles to and from work in LA. I'm averaging between 38-42mpg per tank. I go against traffic, so most of my commute is in the 65-80mph range.
Funny you should mention that.

The impetus for us to look into trading the 335D for a Tesla isn’t that the diesel is not economical or fun to drive. Far from it. It is the most rewarding car in the garage if you factor in fuel economy, because I have on occasion taken the mighty 335D to the track, and the amount of torque of how LITTLE fuel you use, or the smiles per gallon, can’t be beat.

Not that you asked, but the reason behind the research into alternatives to the diesel?

California SMOG laws. The 335D had some issues with the NOx sensor and urea injection system and DPF regen. Without $8,000 in repairs that we were fortunate to avoid due to knowing people at the right places, it would have NEVER passed smog. Not without the $8,000 repairs penalty.

Chicken or the egg. CA has stringent smog testing, BMW put in a bunch of expensive to repair systems to make sure it complies to SMOG regulations, said parts break and you can’t pass smog. Not without forking over more money than the car’s worth.

The 335D is an amazing car, when it works. I’m sure the 328D is amazeballs too. Until you need to replace the urea tank or NOx sensor or any of the smog related parts.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0