05-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #61
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Even if you don't think it's "saving the planet", it's economically and practically going to be more and more viable and indeed necessary in the future. It's technology that will improve our day to day.

I get that most conservatives are against the EV for several reasons:

Economic ties to traditional energy and oil.

Validating the EV as an environmental savior admits that there is a problem which conservatives have been denying for decades.

Fear is something conservatives generally use to control the masses and now it's being used for a progressive movement, which is doubly insulting.

The idea that we are able to adversely affect our environment is unsettling for a lot of people. The responsibility we have to our environment is too heavy a burden for a lot of people who are used to having the perception of control. Therefor they reject it because it attacks their very identity. Narcissism is the main culprit and it's one of the reasons if, not the biggest, that Trump has the position he has regarding progressive environmental initiatives. To admit that we are at the mercy of the environment is too damaging to the ego.
I'm not going to engage in name calling and debate who espouses fear and who are science deniers; it's just too easy to provide counterpoint to what you said. I just stated a fact about the workings of the EV market. It's not a big deal. I like the technology, hell I probably used an EV before you did (1973). From an engineering perspective I think electric drivetrains are more efficient. The cost and political baggage is what remains unjustified for me.

But I must say you must not understand the meaning of Narcissism.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-20-2019 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0