04-02-2024, 09:35 AM   #14
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i xDrive Coupé

What's your consumption?

Figured I'd pick up this thread.

I got my M850 just over 3 years ago and never gave coolant levels a second thought - I've never had a new car (BMW or other) where I have needed to top it up.

I live in Sweden so climate varies from mostly dry, warm in the summer to potentially snowy winters. Car is "always" parked in hot garage overnight.

Late winter/early spring 2022 I had it parked outside one cold night, and when starting I got a low coolant message. Checked both reservoirs and the one closest to the radiator was fine, the other one was below min. Got some BMW coolant, mixed with water and topped it up. Don't recall how much it took and didn't think more on it.

Three months ago I once again parked outside overnight, and same thing, coolant warning. Checked, the one closest to the radiator was once again fine but the other was below min. As I still had the flask from last time I refilled and now it took 0,7 litres (0.2 USG) which to me sounds a lot! At that time the car had ~28k km (17.4k miles) on it. My dealer just advised me to keep an eye under the car when it had been parked but I could see nothing.

I've driven an additional 2k km (1.2k miles) now and as it's time to go to the shop and swap to summer wheels I manually checked the reservoirs even though the car has not warned. The one closest to the radiator was fine as usual, but the other one was again below min! This time it didn't require much to top up (0,1 litre, 0.25 USG) but I seem to have a continuous consumption.

What's your experience? Is this normal or should I be worried?
Appreciate 0