View Single Post
      12-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've merely just suggested BMW should offer a manual transmission in the G20. From what I've read the M version of the new 3-series may offer a manual transmission, which is a trend I don't appreciate that if one wants a manual transmission, he has to buy an over-powered and over-priced ego-inflating halo (badge) car. In the USA, BMW charges a premium for its products, which is why it is considered a premium brand here. I would expect BMW, being a premium brand selling its vehicles at a premium price, to be able to afford to offer a range of drivetrains in its most popular sports sedan that includes a manual transmission option. But rather, BMW is behaving like Ford, which now doesn't even offer a manual transmission in its two smallest econo-sedans other than at the lowest trim level.
I emphasis again that limiting MT across the range is part of getting BMW's fleet CO2 averages within target levels.

Even the MT gearbox makers like Getrag are having to semi automate MT to be competitive with AT on emission saving features. They have no option, as many of the features are so critical to reducing CO2 numbers.

I can't see BMW wanting developments like advanced MT 'AHT' (Automated Hybrid Transmission) and AT in the same line up. Why bother if MT is no longer the simple user controlled transmission. It won't satisfy the purists, who want total control, having sailing mode and functions like traffic jam assist taking priority over user control. MT, (as we know it), just doesn't fit the model for current and future emission limits.

The fact MT sales are falling anyway, helps the business model all the manufacturers have to follow.

Don't under estimate how emissions are dominating available models. We are seeing reduced model ranges in Europe, simply due to the new WLTP test regime.
Appreciate 1