View Single Post
      12-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #37
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
We can keep going... I didn't miss your point; "....you're not the only magical person in this whole world who has driven or drives a manual transmission car." I what does that even mean, other than a poor attempt at an insult? That point I may have missed because there is no point made relative to the discussion regarding manual vs. automatic transmissions.

For some reason you decided to get in on a discussion I had with another Poster. He missed my point about driver control, which is not the same as engagement, which is a word as well as description of action; I am focusing on the action. I prefer a manual transmission because it gives greater control over the act of driving the vehicle, which is why I disagree that modern automatics are superior to a manual transmission. If you want to call it purist, then that's fine. A manumatic, paddle-shifted automatic transmission offers as much "engagement" with the vehicle as a manual transmission, yet it doesn't provide the same level of control. Yup, I get it, a manumatic provides convenience of not having to use one's left leg as part of the act driving when in heavy traffic, and provides some similitude of manually shifting the transmission's gears; however, it is not an exact replacement. From my point of view, I don't find manually shifting the transmission with a foot-operated clutch as inconvenient, even in heavy traffic.

I've merely just suggested BMW should offer a manual transmission in the G20. From what I've read the M version of the new 3-series may offer a manual transmission, which is a trend I don't appreciate that if one wants a manual transmission, he has to buy an over-powered and over-priced ego-inflating halo (badged) car. In the USA, BMW charges a premium for its products, which is why it is considered a premium brand here. I would expect BMW, being a premium brand selling its vehicles at a premium price, to be able to afford to offer a range of drivetrains in its most popular sports sedan that includes a manual transmission option. But rather, BMW is behaving like Ford, which now doesn't even offer a manual transmission in its two smallest econo-sedans other than at the lowest trim level.

Not any more meant as an insult, as you basically calling everyone driving something other than a manual M car a "roundelhound", or trying to say the other poster just doesn't have an understanding what a manual transmission provides, unlike you.

The way you were putting things just came off wrong in my book, but let's disregard that, I guess it could just be your style, I don't know you, and since we're on a forum I don't have the context of how it would actually come off if you've said it out loud.

On the driving control aspect, I'd think if precise control would only be possible with manual transmissions, professional motorsport racing would be using manuals exclusively. I'm mainly talking about the comercially available autos that offer manual control over shifting in one way or another here, and I also get racing drivers don't just let the auto shift for them, but give their "manual inputs" into the process.

I've only owned manual cars so far, so I get what you say you prefer about them. I'm just saying objectively looking at things nowadays, automatics are faster at shifts, better at fuel economy, and can be more comfortable if that tickles your fancy. That's performance, economy and practicality, at least one of which is somewhat of a factor for everyone on the market.

And again, if what you value most and what you look for in your car is the control and engagement (please don't pick on this poor word again) that you feel only a manual is able to provide, that's perfectly well and understandable.

In this regard, and to you, a manual will be superior "till the end of times". But that doesn't make them objectively outright the suprerior choice overall. And so it also doesn't mean anyone who drives an automatic couldn't be just as much an enthusiast as you, or that a 3-series with an automatic transmission "is not a proper 3-series", or BMW in general.

I'm also with you on having the option to opt for the manual. Like it's been discussed in countless threads during countless discussions, it seems like the direction the market's going (customer uptake of manuals), it may not make it financially feasible or profitable to offer it on all models anymore, unfortunately. And unfortunately indeed, because either you want an auto or a manual, I think all can agree having the option to configure the car the way you want it is what everybody wants in the end.

Last edited by KTN; 12-16-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0