12-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
All I can add is that when I started looking at a Tesla Model 3, that it is an awkward looking car with an awful choice of colors and a cheap feeling interior. At least the BMW G-20 is none of those.
I drive over 30,000 miles a year just to work, so I'd love to have an electric if it (a) would be less expensive to own from a total-ownership cost (lifecycle cost), and (b) provide for less maintenance. The Model 3 at $51K, which is about the lowest price you can get one at the moment, for my transportation cost profile, doesn't pay itself back until 270,000 miles compared to if I were to buy a decent 30-MPG $26,000 4-door ICE sedan (market forces what they are, 3 weeks ago I could have bought a new ATS at a heavily discounted price of $26K) . Outside of that, I just don't think the 3 is that good of a car at this point in it's development. I think it rides very harshly and the backseat is just atrocious comfort-wise. I've spent some time in a colleague's Model 3 Performance as a passenger and I just find the overall package disappointing. It's an impressive car for sure, and kudos to Tesla for standing up a car company and producing the first 300-mile range EV sedan priced under $100,000. If Tesla ever gets around to building the $35,000 version, which it now has to do without the $7,500 tax credit, I fear to see how much less content it will have from the current $50K version.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0