01-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #28
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
The OP asked what a 911's like to live with, so here's my take.
You are right - more attention, even my 'old' 911 in silver gets a few more looks than my YMB M4. Interestingly more looks from the ladies - guys tend to look at the M4 more.
You will find that you are scraping the front a bit more, as the front overhang is more than in most BMW's. If you can find one that's got the option for the front lift to get over speed humps - that's the way to go.

Seats are great - more comfortable than they look. However, it might be personal preference, I personally know someone that moved out of a Porsche Macan GTS to an F80 M3 as he found the seats in the Porsche weren't as comfortable.

In terms of size, they are smaller, lighter and lower than F8x, so that's all good, unless you need the space. I love the fact that the 911's lower.
Being narrower, it's easier to park.

Only negative with the lower smaller size, is that people may not see you coming - I've had that happen far more often than in the blue M4.

@seis-speed - looks like you have a 1M, F80, Focus RS - so which one will you replace, or are you looking for an additional toy?
Reason I ask, is that 991.2's are turbo and so are all your existing cars. Perhaps look at the 991.1 which has the direct injection NA motor.
Or, if you like the hydraulic steering, then go for a 997.2, which has the same NA motor of the 991.1, but it's also lighter.

I initially was shopping for a 991, but when 997 route, as I wanted something that felt more like the 911's of old.
Thanks for response.

Fist off I have three kids. That is a huge factor in my love for the F80 and The Focus. I take my two oldest everywhere in the cars. Long family road trips are done in the F80 and it has been great.

I got the Porsche bug the past year, so been trying to justify the move to a car that is a two-seater, with occasional overflow to the rear for my little ones. I enjoy the low nature of the car, it feels like a go-cart. I first really liked the 718 Cayman, but the nostalgia of the 911 kept my attention.

The 'price-wall' was my first hurdle, I can pay it, but wow, that is a lot to spend on a car. The other two: The attention factor. One thing I love about Mcars, I just blend in. Lastly, it better be really good to not have room for the family.

I decided on a Carrera T and was zeroed in getting one with Euro Delivery, but I have hesitated, due to the above issues......I am not sure I can justify it.

I would let the Focus or F80 go, probably the F80. I need an AWD car for taking kids skiing. I have done it with RWD, but prefer AWD.

As many here, I have a car addiction..... so I have different scenarios.
Appreciate 0