Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post

I'm hearing everyones points but ultimately, to get the "driving experience" of a car, you still don't completely get the utility of an SUV. This makes a wagon, again in my eyes, a compromise vehicle... Good at most, not great at anything.
I don't know if it's the "super sizing" of American family car needs, but whole generations grew up without SUVs. People were fine moving their families in sedans and sometimes wagons. I grew up with my parents owning a mid size family sedan and it was fine for a family of 4 - even on long 8+ hour road trips. I don't see why that is different today.

Plus, if you live in a urban city center like SF or manhattan - try parking a SUV. It's hard to squeeze between tight parking spots, even opening the door without hitting the next car is a chore. Try squeezing between cars parallel parking. Try opening the back hatch without hitting the car behind you or the ceiling in a parking structure... it's super impractical. I had a loaner X5 while my car was at the dealer and it was very stressful maneuvering this tank around the city.

The SUV is purely a creation of modern standards and people wanting more and bigger. No one needs a SUV besides people who actually drive off road.
Yeah, I have confused many people by using a GTI as a child, dog, ski and bike transport. I'm 6'2" and would actually be happy with something smaller.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
Z K1888.50