05-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
Starrag Heckert has a much bigger presence in europe, and are usually considered higher-tier machines, usually reserved for OEM's with deep pockets and specialty applications. But you're correct, definitely not in the high-production category.

Efthreeoh, are you still with lockheed martin?
No. I left in 1996. I worked in the equipment planning department and spec'd and bought several machining centers, and I did all the metrology lab equipment, and all the welding equipment. The Lockheed plant has (or had when I was there) a beautiful Cincinatti Milcron 5-axis 3-spindle mill. The table was IIRC 25' x 15'. They machined Titan D5 parts on it from billet plate. They'd shovel the chips off with coal shovels. Good stuff. The neatest thing I like to tell people was the jigs for the Space Shuttle main fuel tank (built by Lockheed in McCloud) were built on a 18' horizontal ring-boring machine. The machine was built in 1919.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0