GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Porsches are a dime a dozen. See my post above

Your on to something with the F-Type. That is one sick looking ride.

When my M4 lease is up I'm gonna check one out. The downside is no ED

I had a 16' F-Type R. Lovely car, but mine was a lemon unfortunately. Bad batch for me I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
You forgot the 4 cylinder AMGs. And the 6 cylinder AMGs.

The disparity between a 440i M Sport and M4 is just as big as it was between the E92 M3 and 335is. I’ve driven all and owned the Ms.

Maybe in Oregon the E92 M3 was rare; here in the DC area they were just as common as the E46 or F80 variations. Nobody bats an eye over an M3, and if that is the reason you are buying it then you totally missed the point.

I cannot argue with the word “cool”, it is highly dependent on personal taste. Some Porsche models are cool and fun to drive in my opinion, but not all.

But I wouldn’t swap my F80 for a Cayman S. The M3 has actually more lively dynamics and a more entertaining character IMO, I’ve always been of the opinion that Boxsters and Caymans have too much grip for their own good.

The F type is small and cramped, yet weighs as much or more as an M3. It looks very James Bond, but you can have it in only two variants: either too slow to be entertaining, or waaay too powerful for the chassis to handle. A medium spicy model might make the sweet spot. I’d never consider one over a Porsche.

It is still very hard to beat an M3/4 for the combination of price, practicality and fun. To do that you may actually have to look at some of the recent American efforts, unless you are a snob.

There is no thing as too much traction!

Also as an owner of an F-Type R: It's a lot more capable than the F80 M3.. because they come AWD now. I'm well aware of the price difference, but I know a lot of people who own M3/M4's because of the low lease payment, which is easily attained with 50k more expensive F-Type R with regards to leasing. (Some guy got a SVR for 144k, for 750 a month)
This was a stock 1/4 time for my F-Type R. The 2015 F-Type R is probably the one you are referring to.

4-cylinder/6-cylinder AMG's make the standard M-Sport 340i/440i feel plain from an drivers point of view. Just a wheel and different bumpers for M-Sport packages.

I too, have owned every M from 2009 onwards (SUV's included) and yeah, they are getting boring. The M4 I had I only lasted about 8,000 miles before I had enough. It's not that good of a car. It's fun to drive slow, but the second you want to take off, it's spin city. My friends 650whp Supra hooked better on Michelin SS from 30mph. I had a 15' so maybe they are better now with ZCP and whatnot, but it's still not all that good. Neither is the RS5, or the C63 (overpriced for what it is). But if money was no object and I wanted a sedan, I'd say I'd go C63 everyday. But if I'm spending 110k+, I'd rather stick to sports car.

About the E92 M3 making people bat an eye, I don't think you understood. I'm talking about it being special in a sea of Priuses and other cars back in 2008. This was the time where M-Sport didn't exist and M's stuck out. Also don't get me started on N/A highrevving V8 vs. garbage disposal inline 6 S55 motors currently. (I also had a 09' M3, but my 11' was my favorite). That was 7-8 years ago, now M3/M4's are my city are everywhere. It's because they weren't attainable with easy to pay leases back in 2009 and now that leasing is so cheap for these cars (excluding 18's), everyone and their mom could pick one up for 100$ more than a 60 month Minivan payment.

Last edited by GhostyM; 10-27-2017 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0