03-21-2024, 11:32 AM   #37
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Reminder, I own both marques so have no biases.

The Macan engine is notorious for shitting itself and there's another very expensive drivetrain issue, forgot what it is but it's massive dollars. Porsche SUV are notorious wallet drainers, it is cheaper to maintain a 911. The 2T Alfa engine in the Giulia/Stelvio has been rock solid.

There is turbo lag but sticking the thing in Dynamic mode helps a lot, "Normal" adds a healthy dose of throttle lag to make things worse.

I'll never understand the criticism of the Alfa interior on a forum where we all complain about the intrusion of tech and touch screens etc. It's a bit old school but fit, finish and reliability has been excellent though we did opt for the "leather everything" package I suspect most do not have (Lusso Trim).

In saying that, OP wants less SUV/more sporty hatch so the Macan may be a better fit. TBH I'd save 50 grand and find the absolute best 35i original X1 I could find and run that thing in all it's analog glory. Newer cars are generally hateful things to drive with the beeping and screaming and warnings etc.
Transfer case failure. No one on rennlist can with certainty say Porsche has solved this yet. Warranty replaced t/cases have been reported to fail. Drivetrain is a weakness for Porsche with the front engined PDK and transfer cases on Macan and Cayenne. Plus lash and clunk in the propshafts.
Appreciate 0