04-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I doubt that your Nikon can focus on two subjects that are different distances from the sensor. The key to get both in focus is understanding Depth of Field ("DOF").

If you shoot wide open, at f/4 for example, you can't get two subjects in focus unless they're pretty close to each other. To get multiple subjects in focus, you need to raise the ISO and numerical f-stop. In full sun, ISO 800, f/16 and 1/1600-sec. will get almost everything in the frame in focus and stop action of any human.

Problems mount as the light deteriorates. In cloudy skies, outdoors, simply raise ISO to 1600. Indoors you can go to ISO 3200, but you will need to lower to f/8, where your DOF will start to shrink.

These are "professional" type instructions. (I learned this in my 7th grade Graphic Arts Class in 1959, but that was before cameras became "automatic"). Your 7200 probably has some "automatic" settings that you can try and they'll work in some circumstances. Those settings are not as reliable as knowing what you're doing, but... it's often a good place to start.

However, physics haven't changed, DOF is dependent on aperture. To get DOF, you must make the aperture smaller.