View Single Post
      06-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #20
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Be very very careful with 3rd party warranties. most of them have serious fineprint so comb through every word thoughtfully on them. the most common gotcha's I've seen are:

1.) limits on repair costs - i.e. Max $2000 for blown engine, won't cover a fraction of the actual cost of BMW engine swap.
2.) Not to exceed the face value of the warranty on some really shady ones
3.) Repair facility choice limits - no dealers, only shops in their network
4.) Part choice limits - like no OEM parts, only aftermarket parts they will cover, you want that BMW part for $950 but they will only pay out the 3rd party part for $175
5.) some make you pay your own repairs then file reimbursments later which takes a while and may get rejected
6.) Labor rate limits - BWM here is like $172/hr... they may only give allowence for $65/hr

Typically - there's a reason they are in the business of selling warranties - to make money, I have not stats so I'll make one up I would say for every time a warranty worked out good for someone, 50 people got ripped off and another 50 didn't use it. They are mostly house-favored odds.

Between personal, family and immediate friends - have experience with about a dozen or so of us. had 2 good wins where they were thankful - most never used it... had one really bad experience on limited max payout for a blown tranny that was something like $1200 when it cost $6000.

The OEM ones are usually worth it, like BMW, or going through CarMax I've heard good things on from a few close friends, actually both those wins I know of were both through carmax.
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
dtox9336.00