View Single Post
      04-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #19
JohnBucurE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
NorCalAthlete dropping some knowledge here!

Get your PMP certification. Advice from someone who doesn't have his and should. sounds like our interests are similar. Research and learn as much as you possibly can regarding 5S and Lean Manufacturing. I was part of a 5S crew in 1999, at a former employer. I took what I learned there and implemented it at my next job; it landed me a regional supervisor position. Not bad for someone who was a production employee at a manufacturing facility. Once you get to a point where you quickly identify bottlenecks and quickly find a solution, you will become extremely valuable to your employer. I don't see my position as making the company money as much as I see it as capitol retention. I can't make our company profitable through sales but I can keep it from hemorrhaging funds through elimination of waste.

My second bit of advice would be take it easy and go in slowly. Don't go in "balls to the wall." You'll burn yourself (and everyone around you) out. Sit back, keep your mouth shut and your eyes & ears open. Be a sponge, gather and absorb as much info as you can and only pull it out at the right moments. I get inundated with people trying to reinvent the wheel on a daily basis. Some ideas are great, but most are not. Knowing when to speak and what to offer is as important as having the education.

I also come from a strong sales background. Learning how the sales end of things works was/is beyond valuable to me. I can relate with the sales people that I buy material/service work from. Even in the Lean side of things, these relationships can carry you far. The sales people, contractors, engineers and whatnot that I do business with, make me look like a rock star. Having the right tools available (this includes a team of people to have in your pocket and knowing who to call for what) has been the biggest factor in my success in my position.

Congratulations and good luck.
Thank you and relationships are everything. This is great advice because I used to work as a quality intern in Detroit supplying the big three. Those companies are in a constant renaissance of lean manufacturing to stay competitive with the automakers based in other countries. It's actually really cool to see when you're on the inside of how fast a company can move and innovate when they need to!
Appreciate 0