TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
If it's a new car - then you should get at minimum, the same discount as the dealership is receiving in the insurance claim. If it is substantially damaged, then you also have to watch out that the insurance claim doesn't total the car and you get issued a total loss title. If that happens - then I wouldn't buy the car for more than 30-40% of dealer invoice.

Otherwise, the general expectation is it is going to cost about $1,000 per panel to fix it, if repairable - so a standard discount would be around $4000-6000 less than the normal best price - it doesn't really matter what kind of car it is, since the cost to repair a Hyundai isn't any less than to repair an S65 AMG.

Typically, it isn't a good buy.
I was just talking with a partner of mine out of state who has indeed bought such cars and he echoes a lot of what you just said.

The key is: how extensive is the damage and how does insurance handle it on their end?

If say a $60k car can be had for $30-$35k, I can get the repairs done modestly myself. And that would be ideal.

Thanks!