Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
I like what you did there.

I too find great humor in the DCT crowd being worked up over a torque converter.
It's not only about the torque converter, it is about the greater static mass, rotating inertia and parasitic losses of a planetary type automatic which make the whole drivetrain more sluggish. Albeit planetary autos keep getting better and better, so it is only a question of time before they are able to match the advantages of a DCT, but they are not quite there yet.

Just to be clear though, the M8 GTE does NOT have a planetary/torque-converter transmission.

https://ricardo.com/news-and-media/p...t-transmission
At what point do the multiple, electronically controlled differentials become the more binding driveline feature with respect to "sluggish".

M2c, I think BMW took a hard look at the use case for the M5 (since we've veered this way) and found that many more drivers are looking for better launch control than the ability to move ability through multiple gears/more quickly into a chicane. The later just isn't something MOST M5 buyers will miss. Add to that the packaging simplicity, cost and it's hard to argue for the DCT.

I don't subscribe to that view myself - or really care. I'd take the 6MT.
Appreciate 0