View Single Post
      07-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
De90man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestpilot View Post
Started seeing some information in the trade publications about the new series. Probably a good move by BMW to make the cars more affordable and improve the bottom line. If I understand correctly, they are using the same engines as 3 series, but vehicle costs are $1000s less and performance may be better. However, after shelling out $45K for a 335I recently, I frankly feel betrayed by BMW. I thought I was getting something special, not some mass produced Taurus. Thoughts?
All established cars eventually head up market. The 3 series moving up created space below it for the 1 Series.

The 135 and the 335i buyers will have totally different demographics. No doubt it will be a rocket and and there will be some overlap with the BMW enthusiast crowd...but the 335 is a bigger and more luxurious car. A 135 will be like a muscled-up mini cooper. Spartan, responsive and focused.

The 'entry-level fashionista' crowd will buy the 1 series (mostly in 128i trim) and folks who wanted an attractive second car, but the 3 series was too expensive.

Barring a monumental miscalculation by BMW marketing, the resale value of your 335 is safe.

Cheers
Appreciate 0