View Single Post
      02-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
?? I was unaware that the car was able to link to a mobile hotspot and send information (of any type) to a 3rd party (dealer).
The term "mobile hotspot" typically refers to Wi-Fi, but that's not what your car would generally use to communicate with the outside world on its own(if it even had Wi-Fi, which M3/M4s currently do not, but other BMW's do).

However, BMWs have had a built in cellular connection since at least as long ago as BMW Assist was introduced. BMW Assist may not be standard on all BMWs yet (not certain) but it comes with every M3/M4.

Whether or not it is that exact mechanism by which the car communicates its service needs I do not know for certain, but it could be. Either way it has at least one cellular radio, and probably two or three. It absolutely communicates with outside world, and such communication will only become more integral to BMWs and all automobiles as time goes on.

At any rate, my dealership called me and mentioned that my car notified them that it was time for service, exactly as the OP claimed.
Appreciate 0