View Single Post
      09-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I'm with Bangle, always have been. His designs were always polarizing to me. His successor did a great job with the F10 though, but where things are going with the G generation of BMW's today and also other manufacturer designs, I am not digging it. The only progressive work I see coming from BMW these days are from i Division. The new i5 looks promising design wise. But other companies like Mercedes and Audi are also playing it too safe with their progressing generations of cars. About the only design I really enjoy of the new G-chassis's is the new G11. I think the G-11 7-Series looks a whole lot better than the F01. For the G30 though, I wish I could say the same, the G30 is simply too similar to the F10 and they didn't do enough of a design change to make it truly stand out from the F10. I hope the G20 will be a big enough change design wise from the F30 though.

Regarding the future of BMW design. I am not excited. I read that the new 8-Series is supposed to represent the future of BMW design in many of the future models and if this is true I don't see much drastic or significantly better design cues that I personally like. What would make me happy is if they got rid of the floating iDrive screen design and got rid of the design that makes the headlights touch the grille. I really hate those 2 things about modern BMW's. Which is why I love the F10 so much, one of the only BMW designs to not incorporate either of those 2 design elements.

I can only imagine what BMW's would look like today if Bangle were still there. I guess we'll get a sense of his modern design philosophy on this mystery manufacturing company he speaks of.

Last edited by RPiM5; 09-19-2017 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0