View Single Post
      08-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Everyone's Favorite Game - What Would You Buy? ≤ $25k Edition

I'm sure I am like most on here with frequent Bring a Trailer browsing sessions consisting of creating a pros/cons justification sheet in their head as to why and how it would make sense to buy this car. This thread isn't intended for the masses to tell me how to spend my money - I'm more interested in the conversation with the ins and outs of what and why you would choose car X. Perhaps the conversation can help my wandering mind, but there are some good folks on here and some dialogue on a topic we can all agree on, cars, can be a fine distraction from current affairs. I have my situation and criteria listed below. What's yours?

My vehicle history consists of old classics, muscle cars, sports cars, trucks, off-road, race cars, SUVs, motorcycles, and even appliances. No real brand allegiance even though some brands have a multiple in the counter column. Current stable stalls include Multiparous Mom Mobile and Common Company Car, but I'm quickly realizing that I need a dedicated "fun" vehicle again. Blow off steam. Hobby. Tinker. Drink a beer over.

In the past, I've tried many times - without success - to combine functionality. Recent try was a Gladiator Rubicon to check the boxes for fun (it's a Jeep), practicality (it's a truck), and cool factor (it's a Jeep and it's a truck). In combining so many genres of vehicle into one, it becomes apparent that it is okay at doing all, but certainly not a master at any. I'm ready for something a bit more dedicated.

I'm personally at a crossroads in not even being able to break down the wall of step 1: What genre do I even want? I'm stuck between A) a fun sporty car and B) something for off-road camping / "overlanding." Wildly opposite ends of the spectrum, I know, but those are really the two interests I have in vehicles as I've been heavily involved in both.

Wants, in no particular order:
  • Dedicated to its purpose. Sure a street-intended sports car can be a hoot on a weekend HPDE at the track just the same as an off-road minded rig can drive the highways at speed to get to your favorite trail. But if it's a sports car, its requirements list shouldn't include high cargo volume or the ability to bring a dozen children along with you. That's not its purpose.
  • Relatively reliable. Constant maintenance and repairs really take away from the fun factor for me personally. Don't get me wrong, I like working on stuff, but I want it to go towards something cool and because I wanted to, not because I had to. If a vehicle just has an Achilles heel but can be resolved, I'm still on board (changing the rod bearings on my E90M comes to mind - once that was done, the thing was bullet proof it seemed)
  • Presents itself as an event. This separates the vehicles that are used to get to B as their primary goal and the ones that the action of going from A to B is the purpose. Having a loud vehicle with solid bushings would absolutely suck to deal with on a daily basis. But having it in a weekend toy can add to the experience if it enhances the pleasure that is the event of driving it.
  • Cool factor. I wouldn't consider myself as someone that holds vanity in high regard, but I think I will let myself down knowing that my pride and joy, my release from work, my escape is...a Pinto or whatever. Car guys get it.
  • Value. Okay, yeah, I'd love to go pick up a 997 GT3. But the reality is that I'm not convinced it is four times the fun as some vehicles that I have in mind. Not to mention running cost - for someone that's not afraid to put miles on something, those bills make my eyes water. This is why I think $25k marks a pretty spectacular budget for vehicles. Expensive enough to get something decent, but cheap enough to justify with my wife, the CFO (Chief Fun Officer).

My current picks...

Sports car
E90 M3 (6MT only) or E92 M3 (6MT or DCT) - best car I've ever owned
AP2 S2000 - Something about these high revving NA cars, but really not a fan of convertibles
ND MX-5 RF - Hard top!
FD RX-7 *wildcard* - I know this threw reliability out the window, but nice examples can be had for cheap money. Save some coin waiting for it to blow so I can drop in a V8 (did this same project on an FC TurboII with a built LS1/T56 some time back)

Off-road
80 Series Landcruiser - It checks all the boxes
100 Series Landcruiser - More comfortable than the 80 sans SFA
N280 4Runner - Effectively a direct competitor to my wife's SUV, so may be pointless

What's your pick?
Appreciate 0