View Single Post
      08-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #66
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I've seen the 8GC in person and it is marginally better than the pictures. But that C pillar still sucks. Why did they get rid of the Hofmeister Kink and the Body line Kink at the same time. Two staple BMWs characteristics. They must have some young kid who doesn't understand design and heritage.

In any case, the 8G looks like a hatchback and I personally don't care for it. If it depreciates to $30k in 3 years, I might consider getting one as a winter beater.
In my opinion, the lines, curves and cuts on the 6 series fits better for the 4 door vers0ion while those of 8 series fits the 2 door version more. That 8S GC looks like a lowered, boxy hatchback. They could even have made it a real hatchback with those lines, and call it an 8 GT for those who like that look and are potential customers for such cars; then they could have removed and abolished that odd-looking 6GT, and kept the 6 series line only for proper higher end 4 door styles with the coupe look.

I do not care much too given that I will unlikely be in the market for this line of car as it does not suit my current situation, and suppose if was into looking for a luxury car with sports look - one that I would drive most of the time rather than being driven or chauffered - I would rather get the current 2 door version of the 8S because it looks better than the current 4 door and I would rarely need to carry more than 1 passenger, but many of those recent odd changes indicate that BMW are like over-trying or over-doing certain things just for the sake of a change or to satisfy certain markets or too look like what one or more competitors have or only they know why; look at those significant changes in grille size for example.

All that being said, like someome said above, those are small details but they matter, though I personally think some of them are not deal breakers but for some people they do lower the desirability for the car. Maybe BMW got feedback from past and potential customers that they wanted some of the rear parts of the 8S GC to look like the Audi A7 or S7 just like they did for the grille size on some of the other lines based on feedback , but I think it became like this more because of the boxy style of the 2 door version from which it was derived.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 08-28-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0