01-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
I had 2 e92 M3s and thought the steering was rather numb, especially off center. The 991 (and the 991.2 more so) electric has much better feel and accuracy than any hydraulic bmw ever managed - sorry to say it but it’s true.

To go back, Porsche hydraulic was leagues better than anything else in the industry when hydraulic was the standard and now the electric steering Porsche has is leagues better than anyone has been able to muster up and I fact their electric rack is better than just about anyone’s hydraulic besides their own.

You have realize bmw makes their steering artificially heavy so a rear or mid engined car will feel lighter in comparison but don’t mistake that “effort” bmw fakes to mean feel bc it isn’t. The Cayman has loads of feel, something like a GTS or GT4 is about perfect!
Yep BMW just dials in weight that does nothing for actual feedback through the wheel. It feels like playing Forza on Xbox.

I'm younger and less experienced with cars than you so I trust your judgment. But I still just loved BMW's hydraulic racks, they felt magical. Haven't yet driven a Porsche with hydraulic steering.
Appreciate 0