02-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I would definitely get a 17 or newer. Not that the 15-16s are bad, but Porsche improved the infotainment system to include Apple CarPlay. You will notice a difference in pricing between the very mild refresh and the first two years and I think that’s mainly why besides being 1-2 years older. I would also get CPO if you can swing it price wise just for peace of mind. Porsche CPO is terrific since it’s two additional years with unlimited miles. I got two years of factory warranty, which I’m still on plus two more years of CPO.

I think if I were having a hard time deciding on trim, I would just focus on anything S and above to give you a V6. If fuel economy is a big deal and you’re not able to drive in a spirited fashion, the base model may actually work for you. The PDK in the Macan is definitely a bright spot and helps the 2.0t seem more powerful than it is. You should drive a Q5 2.0t and a base Macan back to back and you will see what I mean.

I will just say that the Turbo is somewhat addictive and makes you want to drive it. And I never really feel like I’m compromising when I drive the Macan instead of the C7 or 718.

PS. find a good independent shop for routine maintenance and save a boatload of money.
Thanks for the tips. I've been eyeing prices on low mileage 18' and 19' Macan's, and will likely stick with the S, since a 6-cylinder is a must have, and the S has more than enough power for me, since I also plan on trying to buy my father-in-law's 981 Boxster as our weekend/summer car to replace the M2 when he gets his GT4. My father-in-law is a Porsche fanatic and also has a list of preferred independent shops that I can use so that should help as well.

I've driven the Q5 in both 2.0T and S 3.0T guise and found them to be good, but nothing noteworthy, Audi's have just never excited me. The X3 M40i was also good, but the steering was off-putting and overall handling just didn't do it for me, but I've heard nothing but praise for the Macan from reviews and owners saying its pretty much a hot hatch in disguise, even one owner said it was almost like the second-coming of their E91 Wagon, so I'll definitely have to test drive one.