View Single Post
      02-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #91
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I used to turn traction control off in my 350z every time I got into it. After swapping to a square tire setup, the TCS became too intrusive, sometimes going off if I was just trying to accelerate on a curved on-ramp.

The car didn’t have stability control. In my 13+ years of daily driving that car, I never spun it. A sports car with a low center of gravity isn’t going to do anything too weird in a moose test, and I’m confident enough in my driving (100s of sideways moments in that car on purpose) that I’d be able to keep control in an emergency. Please note, there’s no black ice where I live. In a colder climate, I’d be much less inclined to roll around without electronic nannies.

That said, I don’t roll around in the bimmer with the stability control off most of the time, unless I’m trying to rev match on my own. I need to feel the car out and explore it’s limits in a safe environment first to get my confidence up. Once that happens, I’ll still probably leave it on for normal driving but go full off (vs mdm) when I’m trying to fool around. The MDM is pretty intrusive from what I can tell just through small slides. The minute you lift, it clamps everything up tight again and you immediately stop sliding.
Appreciate 0