pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arashir View Post
exactly, I always feel like people are a lot more complicated than how these sorts of articles or studies try to frame them.

There are all kinds of bad assumptions people make about driving behavior when they don't consider things beyond the surface level.

For example, it seems to be a really common and unfortunate meme that you don't want to give people notice too far in advance of your intent with a turn signal because then they'll just move into the gap you wanted to use. This is 1000% not my experience at least in my city, and usually the people who have this offense approach don't even try to see what happens if they give other people plenty of notice.

My experience is, most people would much rather know your intentions ahead of time, even better if you give them like 3-5 seconds to process it, so they are ready to give you right of way. What people in fact don't like, justifiably, is making sudden moves that take the right of way away from them, that block their view and the space in front of them before they're ready for it, and using your turn signal 250 milliseconds before you start your move is effectively the same as zero warning.

It might sound crazy to blink several times before you make your move, but once I started driving that way I found 90% of people responded very kindly, and the 10% that take advantage of that are just ignoramuses that are probably beyond help. I will take that trade all day long. You get what you put out.
I know exactly what you mean about sudden lane changes, versus asking to be let in using the turn signal. I almost always ask to be let in, and I almost always let someone in. After all, somebody let me in, right? The exception to letting people in comes when I notice someone is obviously slow or distracted, or often both. If I can block them from getting in front of me without trading paint, I will. I'm an attentive driver with shit to do and the horsepower to get it done. I'm not about to get stuck behind some pokey, dopey fuck doing 50 mph down a freeway with all the other lanes whizzing by at 80. It's usually somebody fucking around on their phone. I figure if they've got better things to do than drive, despite being behind the wheel of a car, they belong behind me. I make sure they stay there.