06-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #196
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat15 View Post
Good points. I think they should stop diluting the brand by putting the ///M badge on every car. You can even order a 2er Active Tourer with a ///M package (don't ask me why) and then you have a ///M badge on the front fenders!!

///M Performance is also something they could re-consider...I understand that there should be something between regular BMW's and the M version. Let's take the M135i (now M140i). Before, it was just a e82 135i. What changed by putting the ///Marketing badge on it? BMW is diluting M. This begins with the different versions of cars. You start with M4. Then there's a M4 Competition Package. Then there is a M4 CS and on the top, a M4 GTS. Don't forget the various M Performance parts. In the past (even though I was a kid then and didn't know anything) when you got a BMW M, it meant that you have the TOP car you could have of the series. Simple as that.

I hope BMW will get their stuff together...
It wasn't exactly what I meant I'm actually for a solid M range including hardcore M models, M lite models aka M Performance, M Sport trim, and M Performance accessories. As long as the top level real M cars keep their promises, I see no problem that lesser models with a sporty flavor be associated with BMW's sport brand, aka M. Even better if tech and goodies (e.g. carbon roof) trickle down from the top M models.

What I meant is that, from a healthy marketing shandpoint, hardcore M models and M Performance models should be named by their actual name (M8, M4, M850i...) all over the place, hammering these in the conscious and subconscious mind of the public for the names themselves to become icons as much as the actual cars (hopefully they actually deliver as well). Now however BMW's communication is confusing, as the M8 for instance is named either 'THE M8' or '8 Series Coupé M Automobile' depending on the media platform (ads, videos, configurator), which is just idiotic.
Appreciate 2