View Single Post
      02-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

I've had mine for about six weeks. Alpine white/night blue-black extended merino, comfort seating, M carbon roof, alcantara headliner. The "cheeky" glass controls are being added soon by the dealer.

I agree with very much of what firstbimmernyc says above. It is just a joy to drive. Powerful, smooth, quiet (except in sport and sport plus). I disagree with him regarding the interior - I know that it's getting some criticism on the boards, but I and others who have seen mine honestly believe it is first rate and melds quite nicely with the exterior design and the overall...panache...of the car.

My car had a few sample defects - a malfunctioning oxygen sensor heater and a flawed telematics control unit. Both were fixed within the first two weeks, though it took too much work on my part to get the dealer to concentrate on both, especially the latter.

As he says above, the electronics are a little glitchy, especially regarding the communications systems - iPhone/Car Play coordination, entertainment options appearing in the HUD, ConnectedDrive features, etc.

But, after a few weeks of troubleshooting, I have everything playing together nicely now. I like iDrive 7 a lot. A whole lot. I can't imagine ever going back.

firstbimmernyc: A few tips

- It is possible to get iDrive and CarPlay to work together and to be able to toggle between them on the Home screen. Just keep digging through the menus and options, particularly on the COMM page. If you have any particular questions about the settings, feel free to ask me here.

- Though iDrive 7 can handle two cell phones...it really can't. It gets really confused if more than one iPhone and/or more than one key fob are in the car. Best to keep it simple - pair only one phone to the car and try to keep the second fob out of the way, especially if you're in the process of configuring the system.

- Make sure that your in-car WiFi hotspot system is turned on and that your phone is paired with it. And make sure that the Bluetooth systems are paired. Nothing will work very well, communications-wise, until you do that. Also, the embedded AT&T WiFi chip and system are fast as hell. I surprised myself by subscribing to it (on behalf of my iPad-intensive grandson).

- Both screens are extremely configurable. Again, dig through the menu items and the Owner Manual. And, again, feel free to ask me anything. I've been through the mill.

- You can turn off the flashing speed-limit nanny. Go to Settings/Driver Assistance/Driving/Speed Limit Assistant.

- I've found the satellite radio reception to be a tad inferior to that on other BMWs. More brief dropouts under trees, though - in truth - still not very many. This could be because they have buried the satellite antenna in the rear driver-side fender rather than in a familiar exterior shark fin.

- Be sure to create a driver profile that stores your settings - and coordinate it with your ConnectedDrive account (again, that's in the menus under Driver Profile). If you do that, each time you unlock the car, it will greet you with your first name on the navi screen. That will blow away your friends.

I think that's it, but let's stay in touch.

Oh, also: The car can be coded to restore the no-dazzle brights, to turn off the annoying auto-start-stop as the default, and a few other things. See the coding thread on this page.
Attached Images

Last edited by redhot47fla; 02-02-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 6
themnmd1691.00
r33_RGSport12983.50
tigres7.50
mptpa251.00
Ozzie8641.00