View Single Post
      07-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #78
brk_05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
lots of interesting replies, but not one hits precisely on the question I posed:

anyone go from manual to DCT or another good manumatic, then miss manual, go back to manual to then say "what was I thinking, I should have stayed broken up with manual"?
Based on my experience, no, not like the ex GF. I truly missed it and was glad to be back in a manual. 4 out of the 6 cars I've owned have been manuals. My 3 most recent cars were Audi S4 (manual), Audi S3 (DCT), and my current 340i (manual). Don't get me wrong, the DCT in the S3 was a great transmission. Amazingly quick shifts, held gears nicely in sport mode, predictable, etc. But I really missed a true manual. I rarely found myself using the paddles.

Now that I'm back in a manual, I'm much happier. I find excuses to go somewhere just to drive the car. that rarely happened with the S3, even early in my ownership. I never mind the MT in traffic or hills. I live in Pittsburgh where everything is a hill.

For those that say they lose interest or are annoyed by a MT in a hilly area, I question whether they REALLY know how to drive a 3 pedal vehicle, haha. I learned how to drive on a manual and that was the real test. could you start off on a steep hill without drifting back more than a couple inches, not spinning the tires or burning up the clutch. Once you can do that consistently, congratulations, you can drive a manual.
Appreciate 2
baege1335.00
10"4979.50