07-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #74
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
lots of interesting replies, but not one hits precisely on the question I posed:

anyone go from manual to DCT or another good manumatic, then miss manual, go back to manual to then say "what was I thinking, I should have stayed broken up with manual"?
I started with an automatic as soon as I got my license.

Sporadically drove manual and LOVED it! First chance I got, bought a manual 6 speed g37s couple. Absolutely loved the car! Never wanted to sell it. Slowly had clutch issues, etc... but didn't care, I drove the thing everywhere!

Then sadly traded in the manual for an automatic (X3 now X5). Always missed having the manual. HOWEVER, when I would occasionally switch into my weekend/track car, it would highlight the little "irritations" of having a manual. The things that you don't necessarily care about because hell, you're driving a manual!

For example, occupying both hands and feet, fitting boxes and tons of "stuff" into the backseat and trunk. Living in NYC I realized that I wasn't driving a manual the way it should be driven. Manuals are meant for 2 - N gears not 1 & 2. The X5 allows me to sit in my comfortable bubble and not care about the crater sized potholes, horrible roads or the FDR. Instead I just enjoy a smooth ride with little effort because city driving is a chore, it's not a hobby.

That being said, I wouldn't go back to daily driving a manual. However, I would get a car that's less track focused and has luxuries similar to the X5 but also has a manual. It would be for getting out of the city in nice weather on weekends.

All in all, I think it really just depends on where you live, how often you drive and your motivation for driving.
Appreciate 0