usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Yeah this is sheer marketing nonsense. What's next, the M850i being called the 8er Coupé M Performance Automobile?

The only questionable benefits I see would be:
* To virtually paint BMW M Automobiles as some sort of quality label indicating a distinct range within the BMW lineup (➡ whole M range separation).
* All the while conversely providing a more logical comprehension for a BMW newbie who barely gets to know BMW's lineup structure from ads and from the official website, whereby the M8 for instance wouldn't appear as some sort of disconnected model but as a (top) version of the 8er to begin with, amongst other versions (➡ individual M models integration).

But this in turn diminishes the value and impact of BMW M's model names, which on the contrary should be promoted wherever possible to become icons in and of themselves, and it precisely conflicts with the 'THE M8' slogan which is also being spread out concomitantly. They'd better focus on the products instead of this bullcrap.
Good points. I think they should stop diluting the brand by putting the ///M badge on every car. You can even order a 2er Active Tourer with a ///M package (don't ask me why) and then you have a ///M badge on the front fenders!!

///M Performance is also something they could re-consider...I understand that there should be something between regular BMW's and the M version. Let's take the M135i (now M140i). Before, it was just a e82 135i. What changed by putting the ///Marketing badge on it? BMW is diluting M. This begins with the different versions of cars. You start with M4. Then there's a M4 Competition Package. Then there is a M4 CS and on the top, a M4 GTS. Don't forget the various M Performance parts. In the past (even though I was a kid then and didn't know anything) when you got a BMW M, it meant that you have the TOP car you could have of the series. Simple as that.

I hope BMW will get their stuff together...
I really liked how they had the 335is for a couple years. Wish they would return to that.

I want to get an M850i GC but will never shake off feeling like a poser when i say "M"
Appreciate 1