kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMWBrian View Post
Check my post above. Base vs base, an M8 is ~$31k more than an M5. That's still a lot, but it certainly isn't $60k.

Also, the Competition Package on the M3/M4 was $4,750, and gave you 20hp, M Sport exhaust, revised front steering, revised suspension, revised rear diff, the 20" wheels, M seat belts, and extended shadowline trim.

The Competition version of the M8 gives you 17hp, peak torque 160rpm higher, revised suspension, stiffer engine mounts, more front negative camber, rear toe-link ball joints to replace bushings, M Sport exhaust, a "Track" setting for in-car electronics and driving aids, M seat belts, and different wheels.

For the sake of comparison, the Competition Package for the M6 was $8,300 and included similar upgrades. These same improvements on a much faster car with much higher levels of tech will cost more, but with this car competing a bit more upmarket, even further cost increase might have made sense to the company.
I understand your point about base to base comparison, but what comes to the showroom is likely what most of us will buy/lease and M8s certainly don't come at 130K MSRP.

Like I said, the M8 competition will be considered more fair valued if it topped at 150K. Going over 180K with CCBs and other resale-value-holding options added(I tried optioning them and it's pretty much everything) is pure absurdity.