10-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #45
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I'm saying someone who is looking at a 190K car probably wouldn't want something so similar to a 120K variant. It would make more sense if M8 topped at 150K given such little difference.

Exactly. If they are going to charge 60K odd dollars more they might as well have thrown in proper race inspired transmission.

A bit off topic, but I remember the difference between CP vs. non CP being $3K in M3/M4 models. I can't imagine BMW has done significantly more with Competition trim to upcharge $13K. I presume all of these add up to a much more expensive car than it should be.
Check my post above. Base vs base, an M8 is ~$31k more than an M5. That's still a lot, but it certainly isn't $60k.

Also, the Competition Package on the M3/M4 was $4,750, and gave you 20hp, M Sport exhaust, revised front steering, revised suspension, revised rear diff, the 20" wheels, M seat belts, and extended shadowline trim.

The Competition version of the M8 gives you 17hp, peak torque 160rpm higher, revised suspension, stiffer engine mounts, more front negative camber, rear toe-link ball joints to replace bushings, M Sport exhaust, a "Track" setting for in-car electronics and driving aids, M seat belts, and different wheels.

For the sake of comparison, the Competition Package for the M6 was $8,300 and included similar upgrades. These same improvements on a much faster car with much higher levels of tech will cost more, but with this car competing a bit more upmarket, even further cost increase might have made sense to the company.
Appreciate 0