View Single Post
      10-05-2019, 03:48 AM   #36
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
BMW UK sent me an 8 series coupe for a week and were shocked when I returned it in 3 days.
It is a modern car with upgraded technology and moderately improved interiors.
The exterior has sharper lines (not to mention that rear giving you a paper cut every time you walk past)

But it was simply not worth the premium and laughable not up to Bentley or even S Class coupe standards. I run a heavily specified 640d Gran Coupe and I see very little to no reason to upgrade to the 8GC. The 6 is still modern, with an amazing silhouette and design details, and an interior that is still one of Munich's best if properly specified (some stock cars are dogs!)

So I watched this comparison (and have read others) with interest. Yay for lower and wider. Not so sure about longer because the rear legroom on the 8GC is still cramped. And dont get me started on that rear - have I mentioned that already?!!

The exterior styling is less refined, just more emotional (read shouty) for what is a luxo-barge.
It's still heavy and while it has good handling and ride, if you want crisp road manners get an M4 or a 4 series GC.

The dashboard is now more utilitarian and forgettable. The biggest improvement is the heated steering wheel button is more accessible. The interior trim materials have improved and new leather options (but still that hopeless coral red) and some nice seats.

The 850i sounds good and I love the thuggy pop on the overburn. Ummm, that's about it.
Am I surprised the new product portfolio plan signed off by the BMW Board in early June voted to discontinue the 8 series coupe and convertible (the 8GC is retained).

Last edited by SpokenHands; 10-05-2019 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
10"4969.00