Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I didn't say there are no more sports car. I said inexpensive sports car.

For instance
1980 Corvette base MSRP $13,965 (NADA)--
accounting for inflation = $43,402 in 2019 dollars

2019 Corvette base LT1 $61,495 (NADA)

That's a huge jump. Granted the C7 Corvette is an incredible car but the prices of sports car has gotten outrageous.
It's not the price of the car, it's the options that are now standard - many of which are safety related and due to governmental regulations.

In addition, let's talk about the 1980 vs 2019 Corvette, since you think nothing is a sports car, but for some reason are using an example of one that is which had a 180hp engine standard and weighed 3,500lbs. Did 0-60 in about 9 seconds.

Now, let's also look at what did not come standard on the base corvette in 1980, for which you had to pay extra:

- power door locks
- window defrosters
- cruise control
- alloy wheels
- am/fm radio
- rear speakers
- cassette player

In addition, that car did not come with any airbags, seat belt tensioners, back up camera, abs brakes, and about 200 more items that a new one comes with.

When you account for performance, options, and safety features - a car today is nearly 35% cheaper than a comparable car from 40 years ago.

On a side note, however, if all you are looking to do is come into a forum and whine like a baby about random things - then be my guest. Whatever floats your boat.

1980 corvette used as an example of a sports car, but the miata isn't.