View Single Post
      04-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #24
gustovier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 840ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Believe it or not, with the new air intake technology, the stock air filter is as good as any aftermarket unless you are pushing 50% more horsepower.

In my list, it is last on the list.

First would be tune, either piggyback or flash tune.
Then downpipe.
Exhaust is right before intake because it gives you more sound than actual power gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Hmmm, I disagree--where do you get 'most' from or that folks do the intake first?

In my case, this is my 10th S63-derived BMW M-car. I've bolted on an aftermarket intake only once and an exhaust only once (same car). The intake helps for sound... and seems to work best in conjunction with more free-flowing exhausts like I mentioned... but the car I did both on doesn't compete with my more modern ones but it was an F06 M6 Comp GC and they're showing their age a bit.

I'd argue that most Racechip (another piggyback) and JB4 customers are looking for a plug'n'play solution that doesn't instantaneously invalidate their drivetrain warranty. I imagine I've helped 50+ JB folks over the years and the vast majority modified nothing else... me included on 9 BMW M-cars.

Granted, I'm a little different since I don't keep cars long but the results speak for themselves: 30,000 miles across two F90 Comps achieving consistent low 10.3s in the 1/4 mile and 0-60mph below 2.6s (2.57 being a repeated personal best).

If you want to open things up a bit, then I'm fully supportive of getting an intake+exhaust. However, I am in complete disagreement that it's either necessary or normal for piggyback tuning.

If we take my current M8, for example, it has only a JB4. It's already running 2.59s to 60 (per Dragy as in all cases above) and a 10.5s 1/4 mile on farm roads--I'm still tinkering but I've no doubt she'll match my 2020 F90 M5 Comp once I nail the setup (and it stops raining).

I'd do the JB4 first--see how it feels. Then the intake, see the difference--determine for yourself. Or do the intake and exhaust together but, either way, give yourself a baseline to compare the bolt-ons against.

Thanks guys for your input this has really been informative. Keep in mind I’m not trying to track my 840ix, it’s my daily driver and just want to give it some more oomph (so I can more closely feel like I got that 850i m lol). I’m on a lease so I don’t want to modify too much with it. So doing just an intake and a tune seemed like the best way to go. From what I read the intake will add some nicer sound qualities versus stock as well.

A couple of articles I read oN the subject are below that seemed relatively recent and recommend the intake to pair with a tune. Besides, the sound differences, You guys really think the 840 stock intake performs just as well as some of these replacements? What about improved throttle response? We’re only talking under $200-$300 plus self install. But hey if there’s no gains that’s still money to save.

https://bmwtuning.co/build-500hp-b58/

And

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-b58-upgrade...-intake-guide/

Last edited by gustovier; 04-05-2020 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0