View Single Post
      12-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #58
sausage4
Private
Rep
Drives: MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I still dont think its a sportscar manufacturer. I'd call it a performance car manufacturer. Sportscar says it in its word: sports. So to be a sportscar, the design has to somehow align itself with autosport (or motorsport). And in various motorsport competition you see lots of 911's and also caymans/boxters going around the track. But cayennes? macans? I havent seen them racing. Maybe as an entry in the dakar rally, but then a pajero would also be a sportscar....
A macan or cayenne wouldnt stand a chance to a sportscar, given the same engine performance/size on a track. They're high and bulky, and those are not sporscar design principles. They're the opposite.
So I call a miata a sportscar but a cayenne turbo not. Despite the latter one having a bazillion more horsepower.

The LM-008 wasnt imho a sportscar, but it was a performance car.
And the Urus.... the same. For me the Urus is similar to a cayenne, or a bmw x6m or a bentley betayga etc. Luxury or performance orientated SUV's, but not sportscars. And yes, Lamborghini is nowadays also partly a platform rebrander. With the gallardo/huracan that was imho not a problem as far as sportscar dna goes (the R8 is also a very very good handling sporscar (and revolutionairy when it came out)), but as far as the Urus goes....meh.
Without the macan/cayenne we wouldn’t have the great gt product we have today. Where do you think the R&D money came from? The more macan they sell the better the gt3 will be, and not to mention, their race car gets trickle down to the street car ( gt cars ). So yes sell macans in volume to dominate racing and built fantastic gt cars for the enthusiast.
Appreciate 0