United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
GI4

Playing a little devil’s advocate here . . .

When I see older 3 and 4 series on the road, I think the same thing. . . those not-so-much-older models are beautiful, noticeably much smaller and reek of BMW architecture.

Watching the soon to be released M3/4 models – front grilles and other architecture aside – I think damn, those things better have huge brakes and roll bars . . . literal tanks that look awkward on a track. I am not a tracker, so the architecture and daily use feature are most relevant to ME. The former is completely prohibitive, but I am certain they will be great sporty sedan/coupe for spirited daily use.

The F87 is the smallest ///M coupe, although still a small tank. As you say, also sits quite high. However, this is all relative. BMW does not make anything that competes with, for example, Porsche when it comes to chassis and associated performance. If that is what you are after, then BMW might very well be dead to you.

However, I think the M2 is still extremely enticing. Still retains architecture AND performance features that BMW enthusiasts have come to appreciate. It is as close to what M4 enthusiasts can get when it comes to expectations. I would not want to take it to a track, as it is just too heavy and loose. But for daily spirited use, I think the M2 is still a great BMW.

Everything known so far suggests BMW is not going to f*ck what they have in the F87 when producing the G87. The S58 and some other tweaks are, I believe, going to make the G87 M2/M2C even better than the already special F87.

///AVM

All this dismay that bimmer owners and enthusiasts are expressing now can be traced to a couple of execs in charge of design language and the direction its headed

It would just be a matter of changing out a couple of chesspieces and.things would seem to level out again, nice looking sleek M cars that give you that sportscar aesthetic,

Look at the i8 , they stick crappy electruc motor in there and instead give us an m8 that looks weird and ugly, imagine a carbon bodied flagship M with the doors going up, theres alot of sinple things they can do

But it seems they are more interested in re-defining what is considered aestheitc and awesome looking to their weird view. Its a fools errand and never gonna happen,
GI4

I do not disagree with you . . . BMW has lost its way when comes to the ENTHUSIAST.

However, they are more interested in what 2 billion citizens in China think than, say, 2 million enthusiasts. . . QUANTITY is king at Bimmer HQ.

All said, I think the M2/M2C is what we are left with as enthusiasts and, in my opinion, think the G87 M2/M2C will be great for spirited daily driving.

If it's the track one is after, then probably best to jump ship, or go back in time in the BMW model lineup. The F87 is an unsettled tank, and I'm sure the G87 will not be any different.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 07-21-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0